Sunday 9 October 2016

BOREDOM! The Super Power Of The 21st Century

                                                Image result for boredom
Every day I sit at my desk to write. I’m talking about deliberate writing that I do with a serious expression on my face. This isn’t a game; I don’t do this out of novelty. I don’t do this for money (most of the time). I don’t even do this for fun.
I do it because I have to, I do it because Doctors doctor, managers manage, Auditors audit and Writers write.
Sometimes the writing aspect of me is actually the most boring part of my day, though through this experience I’ve come to love the feeling of boredom. This is not to say that I’m not a fun loving person as I can be lively. Very lively!
Nobody loves boredom and nobody wants to be called boring, but most of the things human have created throughout history have been aimed at alleviating boredom in some way. So what does it means to be bored?
Most people think it means having nothing to do or having nothing exciting going on. Most people think it means being under-stimulated, waiting expectantly for something to change their state of mind. Some even think that boredom is at odd with creativity.
When you begin to feel bored that your mind’s way of telling you that it’s running out of entertaining things to think about.
One way or the other we all experience that moment we check through our Whatsapp/BBM updates, DP’s (display picture) and PM’s (personal messages) till we have no new content to refresh again, then it get done on us that we are BORED.
At this moment the sensation of calm set in, then suddenly different ideas, great and overwhelming ideas start to pour in. a non-stop suffocating flow of material comes at you from different direction
I’ve been trying for quite some time to figure out what exactly it is about being bored that leads to those creative burst and to tell you the truth, it’s been hard to articulate. But I think I’m getting to understand it now that boredom is your brain operating without the luxury of distraction.
                                                         Image result for boredom 
Think about this: most of the things we do are an attempt to remove the burden of boredom from our lives by way of distraction. We can’t do without having our phones been connected to the internet because we don’t want to be out of social media, we watch movies to pass away time and pop headphones into our ears to silence the boredom from the inside out.
But what happens when we embrace boredom?
Boredom creates a space inside us because the noise outside has finally faded. Due to this fact, this moment becomes a time that our thought are unedited, our brain is free and creative.
Our bored moment isn’t a time for doing “nothing”. It is a time fresh ideas and insipiration comes to your aid. Boredom is just another word for stillness, and a little stillness is something we can all use more of, don’t you think so?
Don’t get scared of being bored as it is a super power of the 21st century.





Thanks so much for visiting my blog! Don't forget to share. I'll love to read your questions, thoughts, opinions and ideas on this article in the comment section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment