Wednesday 4 October 2017

It is only in Nigeria one would travel to India and come back with British accent


This morning I met with someone who told me "I have a girlfriend, she's everything, i want to marry her but my problem is that she doesn't speak grammars and phonology." 

Abeg who grammar epp?

The question is since when did English grammar turn to a criteria to marry someone? Why do we attach so much importance to English Language? We hear people insulting others that you cannot construct a simple sentence, you can't even write properly, you've got poor diction, you can't speak properly e.t.c which only we find in Nigeria.

In other part of the world people are comfortable speaking their own language. It's only in Nigeria you'll speak with someone over the phone in your local dialect and the person will respond speaking English. It is mere foolishness for you not to know how to speak your language but it is pride for a Nigerian to tell you oh... I am from Osun state, I am from Awka-Ibom but I can't speak my language.

It is only in Nigeria one would travel to India and come back with British accent, travel to Dubai- a city where the Arabians can't speak English then come back to Nigeria with american accent.

What makes an effective communication is about how we send and receive messages, be it in English language or in your local dialect and not by grammars and phonology.


Happy Wet Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment